BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

June 15, 2009

Toddler Time

Sometimes you just have to slow down a bit. I went to the hardware store today to buy some paint, and Marisa came along with me. We wandered the store aimlessly for quite a while. Marisa discovered the display bathtubs and found it quite amusing to climb into them and play. Then she discovered the maze of doors and windows. There's something about mazes that attracts children. We wandered through those doors and windows for a while - Marisa insisting on opening this door or that.

When we were finally ready to leave, there was to be no rushing out for me. Marisa became entranced by the automatic doors. She stood and opened the door then closed the door repeatedly - complete with mystical hand motions to go along with the opening and closing of the door. She spent about five minutes doing this. She was quite convinced that her hand motions were the magic that was being used to open and close that door.

I suppose I could have rushed her along, hurried on my way without letting her have her fun. After all, I had no idea exactly how long she would play her magic game. I was beginning to get a bit impatient when she turned away from the door and walked towards me exclaiming that she was all done.

It only took about five minutes of my time, so in the end it was well worth it. That moment of magic would've been completely lost if I had forced her to operate on adult time instead of adjusting my own thoughts to operate on toddler time.

2 comments:

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Wisdom gained from cooperating with a kid's game. You were given an insight on how children look at things. To your kid, it was all magical and she really enjoyed every minute of it. Well, kids will be kids and adults quite often learn new things from them. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Eddie Garcia said...

I would have to agree with Mel we can truly learn new things from our children if we will only pay close attention. There innocence is something we have lost over the years and from my experience, we will not regain it until we become one of the elderly citizens. Can't wait, can you? lol Enjoy your children while they are young because time passes much too quickly. I think you have learned that already.

Friends 4 Life!